Implementation Use Case
This customer is head officed in Melbourne, with global operations across more than 100 countries, providing services to help mobilise the vital resources required by mining companies globally. The organisation required the implementation of a controlled document management solution to drive compliance and a consistent approach across all sites.
- No consistency in the management of controlled documents across the organisation.
- Controlled documents can be stored in multiple applications making it difficult to quickly locate the latest document.
- Risk of a major safety incidents if the wrong controlled document was used to perform a critical business process.
- Some controlled documents are not being reviewed in line with compliance obligations.
- Due to issues searching for documents, some users will download documents to local drives for easy access in the future, creating duplicates and risking that the latest version is not accessed.
- Incorrect metadata values are assigned to some documents.
- There are too many manual steps required to manage the review and approval of a new/updated controlled document.
Solution Overview and Functionality
The organisation chose to leverage their existing investment in OpenText and implement a Controlled Document Framework (CDF) within their OpenText ECM platform. This provided a central repository in which all controlled documents would be managed in adherence to the organisation’s specified compliance obligations.
Central to the CDF solution was the implementation of automated business process workflows that drove the management of each controlled document throughout its lifecycle, e.g. creation of new document, periodic review of a document, obsoletion of a document. Automated notifications ensured that the responsible users received timely alerts when action was required including the ability to escalate to management when deadlines were missed.
OpenText’s native integration with SAP seamlessly provided direct access to the last approved controlled document from within SAP. This ensured that the end users could confidently know they were accessing the latest version of a document.
- Drive a consistent approach to the management of controlled documents
- One place to find site, regional and corporate controlled documents
- Enable capture of best practice, increased knowledge share and reuse
- Clear and auditable version history maintained for every document
- Ensure adherence to compliance obligations
- Improved productivity through process automation