Implementation Use Case
As a global miner with multiple sites across different geographies there was a requirement to streamline business processes and information practices to leverage the value of the information across the business. The customer faced the challenge of managing documents and consolidating disparate systems from multiple locations from around the world. The response was to implement a centralised solution to drive efficiencies through common process across all mine sites and enable content reuse across all locations.
- Inefficiencies in searching for information which may have been stored as multiple copies or be out-of-date.
- Difficulty in finding vital documents.
- Difficulty in proving compliance with industry standards.
- Poor collaboration between staff at different sites and with external parties.
- Over-retention of information raising the risks of injury to staff working to out-of-date operating Instructions.
- No integrated document repository and poor information discovery.
- Lack of content reuse with content was being recreated at each site.
Solution Overview and Functionality
An OpenText extended ECM platform was implemented which provided the document repository for vital documents (i.e. business critical documents, engineering drawings and controlled documents) across all sites. The ECM platform contained the advanced document management functionality to manage the full lifecycle of all business documents.
SharePoint was deployed to provide a collaboration platform for low-risk, short-term documents, and to be a portal to all web-based systems.
Through native integrations, the ECM platform enabled vital documents to be surfaced in the applications that end users are familiar with and where they need to do their work, such as Microsoft 365 and SAP. This approach ensures the integrity of the document is maintained as it resides under the control of the vital document repository which drives compliance with security, retention and other legal obligations across the relevant jurisdictions for the organisation.
- Reduce cost and rework by being able to find business documents
- Easier processes for sharing information with whoever needs it
- Well managed information retention
- Access from any location – mobile and offline access to information
- Allows roles to be located wherever appropriate for business operations
- Avoids cost of not meeting ISO accreditation
- Mitigates risk of e-discovery as information is managed and disposed
- Removes the need to recreate drawings because of missing or obsolete drawings
- Able to meet legal and company listing obligations as the right information is retained and managed.
Simplification of IM Applications
- Consolidation on to 1 Intranet solution
- Reduction from 4 to 2 Document Control systems
- Removal of a variety of unauthorised/uncontrolled collaboration tools